Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day Two...and the Cubs still couldn't win...

Day One ended with a special treat. Insidedge President Keith Burton took me to a Cubs game at my stadium, Wrigley Field.
We scoped out Wrigleyville (seriously, that's what they call it) and took lots of great pictures, which I will post tomorrow. (I have to tease tomorrow's posting to make you come visit again!)
I experienced my first Bison Dog which I pronounced delicious and the night was perfect for baseball, 79 degrees and a gentle breeze.
Outside my office window, as we speak, they're shooting off explosives. It's not the competition trying to blow us out of the water; it's the filming of the movie "Transformers III" down on Wacker. On Sunday when I arrived, the bridge was up and they were setting off explosives and filming on Michigan Avenue. Quite exciting!
Today I met some great team members and saw two I'd met yesterday. This afternoon I'll be talking with Allen Putman from the New York office and then with Kirstin Hinchcliff to discuss a case study.
I have my own office here, and my laptop is humming with activity.
Also trying to keep Newhouse masters students moving on their Executive Education projects while I'm gone.
Two now have IRB approval from the May class and the third is closing in on finishing her proposal and doing her IRB form. Go, Aimee!
Keith Burton loaned me a book I'm reading entitled, "The cult of the amateur: How today's internet is killing our culture." I plan to finish it tonight.
Lunch tomorrow with former SU masters student and Newhouse alum Carly Jarosz, who now works here in Chicago for the Moody Bible Institute, and dinner tomorrow night with Sumalya Sundaram, who works in the burbs in marketing and PR. She's taking the train in to meet me and have dinner. I saw both former students two years ago during a visit to Chicago for the AEJMC (Association for Educators in Journalism and Mass Communication) conference held here.
This year's conference starts Aug. 4 in Denver and I'll be there the week following my two-week Insidedge internship.
In closing, it's been really fun being back in the so-called "real world" as opposed to the unreal world of the academy (and I use the word "unreal" with great affection).
BTW, stay tuned for more information on an exciting website I learned about today...created by one of the Insidedge interns from Boston University...that rates internships!

No comments: