Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Conversation with Ellen


This morning I met with Ellen Ryan Mardiks, Vice-Chairman of GolinHarris.
Ellen's been with GolinHarris for 26 years--quite a tenure!
In her role, she has many responsibilities including overseeing the Consumer Marketing Practice Globally. Several areas report to Ellen, including new business development, the marketing of GolinHarris as a company, and the Research function.
I had a chance to learn about The Gold Standard in Client Service, which Ellen spearheaded. This is the template for how the firm works with clients and the commitments it makes. Of particular interest is the Storyboard strategic planning process which uses Storytelling as its model. I mentioned that every incoming Freshman this fall at Newhouse will be required, under our new curriculum, to take a storytelling course. Glad to see we're on the right track.
Ellen and I talked about the unique culture at GolinHarris, something I've been observing while here.
She started at the firm as an Account Executive in 1984. She ran the Consumer Group and Health Care business for the agency and was Chief Marketing Officer prior to becoming Vice Chairman.
Ellen and I had a lively discussion about gender and public relations. She gave me a great idea for a future research project!

No comments: